Название: Английский язык (М.М. Прилуцкая, С.М. Стенникова )
NSTU AS A LEADING CENTER FOR RESEARCH AND EDUCATION
NOVOSIBIRSK STATE TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY:
50 YEARS OF PROGRESS IN EDUCATION AND SCIENCE
Since its early days, the university has been paying much attention to theoretical and applied research in the field of engineering. Nowadays, NSTU is one of the leading technical universities in Russia and an important scientific center. Its schools of thought on the automatic control; computer-aided devices for metering, control, and diagnostics; software for expert systems aimed for investigation of complex entities; hybrid methods and program systems for calculating strength and reliability of structures; increase in stability, economical efficiency, and quality of large engineering systems; new types of electronic and radio engineering devices; mathematical modeling and optimization of complex mechanical systems acquired national and international reputation.
For many years, NSTU has been maintaining contacts with the Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences (SB RAS). A joint program to train highly qualified specialists has been drawn up. In particular, NSTU actively participates in carrying out projects of the Federal Target Program Integration. Cooperation in the projects with the Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences facilitates the integration of educational and research institutions and transformation of the university into the leading scientific and educational center of the region.
During the last decade, humanities became an integral part of the courses offered by NSTU and this is not by chance; it is rather meeting the demands of the present-day society.
Special attention is devoted to bringing up new generations of researchers. Many former university students have become leading NSTU researchers and professors. In 1994, NSTU opened its first Master's Programs. These are research-oriented programs which are considered as a step towards studies and research in Cand. Sc. (doctoral) programs. At present, it is fully realized that the young generation of researchers are researchers of the XXI century. They are the future of Russian science and there is every reason to believe that these gifted, creative, hardworking young people will make an outstanding contribution to the development of science.
Since early 1970's, NSTU has been organizing the Days of Science. Conferences, olympiads, grant competitions are held within the framework of this event. Students involved in research work and making good progress in the field are awarded university grants. Outstanding students are awarded City, Regional Administration, Russian Federation Government and Presidential grants.
Inter-university conferences are of utmost importance. Getting together and discussing problems of common interest provides first-hand information on the research pursued, facilitates personal contacts, promotes further collaboration, which is, indeed, the primary objective of these events.
As is known, science is developing due to exchange of ideas. Nowadays, it is the English language which has become the language of international scientific communication. Integration into the world scientific community requires thorough knowledge of English.
The university concluded twenty-five agreements on cooperation in the field of science, culture, and education. Participation of the NSTU faculty in various international conferences and symposiums is a traditional form of scientific information exchange. During the recent years, NSTU was the venue of 39 international events.
(Based on the materials of the First Graduate School Inter-University Scientific Conference, NSTU, Novosibirsk, 2000)
1. Vocabulary list
2. Comprehension check
1. Name some of the NSTU schools of thought emphasizing those you know about.
2. Why are research contacts with SB RAS so important?
3. What kind of contribution are the young researchers expected to make to the development of science? Will they be involved in qualitatively new areas of research?
4. Why is participation in conferences so important? Have you participated in the NSTU Days of Science?
5. Why do you think so much attention is paid to the English language study at present?
6. What facts prove that NSTU is actively involved in international research cooperation?
3. Speech Practice
Characterize NSTU as a leading research center putting special emphasis on educating young researchers and international research contacts.
RESEARCH IN NOVOSIBIRSK STATE TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY
At present the system of university technical education in Russia is comprised of 103 technical universities. Novosibirsk State Technical University occupies a prominent place among them.
Over 50 years of its existence not only has the University become a centre of science and research but also a leading educational institution where all conditions have been provided to train highly qualified specialists and satisfy the needs of learners in professional, cultural and moral self-development as well as in developing their creative potential.
The history of the University abounds in significant events. Thanks to fundamental research and engineering projects carried out at the University at different times, thanks to talent, commitment and professionalism of three generations of research workers and 75,000 graduates, NSTU schools of thought and their scientific and research traditions have become known far beyond the boundaries of Siberia and Russia.
The academic staff of the University is comprised of more than 1,000 members including 7 full and corresponding members of the Russian Academy of Sciences, more than 200 doctors of science and 700 candidates of science. Six professors of NSTU were awarded the title of Honoured Worker of Science of the Russian Federation.
More than 140 postdoctoral students were conferred the degree of doctor of science and 850 doctoral students were awarded the degree of candidate of science over these years. Every year 850 graduate students, 360 doctoral students and about 20 postdoctoral students conduct research in NSTU.
There is good reason to believe that a distinctive system of studying science and doing research has been established in several areas of knowledge such as physics and mathematics, engineering, economics, philosophy, linguistics and education.
Main Research Concentrations in NSTU
1. Universal algebra and model theory
2. Soliton (solitary) wave theory and inverse-scattering method
3. Fractal structures modelling
4. Physics of low dimension systems
5. Laser systems and technologies
6. Basic physics of synchronous radiation technologies
7. Automatic control under object properties incomplete information
8. Mathematical and information support of expert systems for complex multi-factor engineering object study
9. Automated measurement, control and diagnostic facilities based on holography, superconductivity and quantum dimension effects
10. Statistic theory of signal and image stable location, evaluation and filtration
11. Developing transducers working under extreme conditions
12. Large power systems and their units: increasing the efficiency, ecological compatibility and quality of their operation
13. Complex electric drives for robots and manipulator mechanisms: high torque and linear electric motors, semiconductor converters
14. Developing hybrid methods and software for aircraft structure strength and reliability calculation
15. Generalized mathematical models and optimization of machine and mechanism structures; solution of multi-criterion and multi-parametric problems
16. Humanistic approach to engineering education
17. Psychological and pedagogical problems of education
18. Developing organisation, management and marketing systems and methods for industries, enterprises and industrial complexes
Всего: 763 читаем
Лучшие из лучших